12 September, 2011

The State

The State, I owe you. For Two Hundred and Forty Dollars worth of pudding. But I can not pay up. Except with my many thanks for all the funny that you earned, and shared with me. Thank you.

You guys totally deserve a cupcake! I saw this skit a zillion years ago, probably while I was still in college, and possibly when it first aired. I loved it then, and I love it now.

But watching it now is a very surreal experience. I can't quite put my finger on what you are making fun of.

Lounge lizards? maybe. Black people? I don't think so. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and though I have never actually seen any African American people dressing quite like this or flashing their seductive arts this way, it really seems like a twisted homage to Barry White or something.

Funny things like this have an inexplicable power of their own. Perhaps one of you guys was reading the pudding package aloud one day, and laughed. I think 'chill' was pretty new as a synonym for relax back then, so you took the instructions in a way not intended.

And subversion of expectations is the root of a lot of funny, of course.

And maybe you went with it. But however you got there, I love every minute. I say things from this sketch as often as I can possibly work them in to everyday conversation.

Which, sadly, is not often enough. Maybe I should make pudding more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment